Monday, October 26, 2015

Meet Melody

I'm doing something a little unusual. I've mentioned my new characters, Melody and Barnabus, the main characters of my latest story. I'm actually taking a break in their main story to write a short piece about Melody's origin. I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I'll post the first part anyway.



Melody MacTyre woke up alone in the snow, amid a ruin of fallen and broken trees. Her head was swimming and her throat ached horribly, as if she hadn’t had a drink in days. She stared at the sky in confusion, unaffected by the brightness of the sun as she looked past it into the countless stars.

“Move,” said a voice in her head, a voice not quite her own. “Get up!”

“I can’t,” she mumbled, her words feeling like fire in her neck. She looked down without moving her head, peering stupidly at the great limb pinning her legs to the ground. “I’m stuck….”

“Move the branch!” growled the voice.

Her leg moved, an involuntary jerk that sent the heavy branch tumbling away in a spray of powdery snow. Melody’s eyes widened and she stood up, looking down at her torn and dirty breeches in awe. The pain in her throat temporarily forgotten, she reached down to grab a length of broken oak that would have taken ten men to move. With barely a thought, she flicked her wrist and sent the log soaring away into the forest.

She swore softly, nearly falling back into the snow.

“Well done,” said the voice. “Told you!”

“What’s going on?” Melody asked as the burning in her throat returned. “Wh… what’s happening to me?”

“Us,” corrected the voice. “I’m you… at least your new memories.”

Melody’s head spun and she staggered away, her movements as quick as the wind. She came up hard against an unyielding outcrop of stone, shattering the rock with her shoulder.

“Watch it!” cried the voice. “Take it easy! Act a little more like a human or we’ll never blend in!”

No comments:

Post a Comment