Friday, September 18, 2015

Something New

As I promised yesterday I've done something new. I've been writing stories for years, but it's always been more about putting what's in my head down on a page than about trying to put them into public print. Recently though, I've been working on an old short story that I started several years ago, recycling its bones with the hopes of submitting it to a literary magazine. I've toyed with the idea before, but never quite worked up the courage to do so. It makes everything so very real, and the possibility of hurt and disappointment grows exponentially as my heartfelt work is exposed to the outside world. Even in the very likely event of rejection, I can't help but feel a pang of the heartache I felt several years ago in my two and a half year long job search. Still, there is always a chance that my story will be accepted and I will be able to take a major step forward in the dream of writing professionally.

So, after several minutes of near panicked deliberation, I pressed send. Thanks in part to the support of my lovely wife of course. I said before that I wasn't planning on making stories a major part of this blog, but I may post this story, cut up in parts, for the next few days. If any of the people who gave me my ninety six views are interested in seeing it, let me know. In the meantime remember two mostly nocturnal creatures, both struggling to conquer fear in the basement, one a flying squirrel and the other a story telling writer. So, even if it means trying something new and different for dinner, do something you've never done before. Oh, and sorry for continuing yesterday's thought, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment